Thursday 9 May 2013

EXCLUSIVE: Man United line up Ronaldo return after chief Gill flies to Spain to talk to Madrid star's super-agent

Cristiano Ronaldo
An astonishing day at Manchester United took an incredible twist on Wednesday night when it emerged the club are close to securing the return of Cristiano Ronaldo.
Sportsmail can reveal that outgoing United chief executive David Gill has been in Madrid to meet Jorge Mendes, the Portuguese super-agent who represents the megastar.
Sources on Wednesday night insisted the Barclays Premier League champions are confident of securing the return of the player they sold to Real Madrid for a world record £80million in 2009.
News of Ronaldo's return might help David Moyes, who will be the next manager of the club, to persuade the wantaway Wayne Rooney to stay.

Outgoing boss Sir Alex Ferguson made no secret of wanting to see former World Player of the Year Ronaldo come back to Old Trafford.
When United met Madrid in the Champions League earlier this season, Ferguson said: ‘Was I tempted to bring him back? Yes. He’s still in the hamper.’
On Wednesday, in reaction to Ferguson's decision to retire, Ronaldo tweeted: ‘Thanks for everything, Boss.'
He has a great relationship with Ferguson and sees him as a father figure.
'When I arrived, even though I did not want it, he [Ferguson] insisted I have No 7 on my shirt,' Ronaldo had said.
 'I was adamant that I did not want it. Then, he sat me down and told me about the history of the No 7.
He said, "Do you understand what I am trying to say to you? I think you will be worthy of wearing this shirt". With that, I understood how much confidence he had in me.'
Ronaldo scored his 200th goal for Madrid in a 6-2 win at home to nine-man Malaga on Wednesday.
The match turned in the 21st minute when Malaga defender Sergio Sanchez was shown a straight red card for bringing Ronaldo down in the area.
Although the Portuguese had his spot kick saved by Willy Caballero, who injured himself in the process and had to be replaced by Carlos Kameni, Ronaldo netted with an indirect free kick close to goal in the 26th minute.
Tears and a crown: Ronaldo celebrates winning the Champions League

Happy days: Ronaldo developed immensely as a player under Ferguson at United and enjoyed great success

No comments:

Post a Comment