Thursday 13 June 2013

NDLEA Arrests Two Brothers With Cocaine

 
LAGOS — Officials of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, MMIA, Lagos have arrested two brothers for being in possession of 430 grammes of powdery substance that tested positive for cocaine.
According to Mr Ofoyeju Mitchell, Head, Public Affairs of NDLEA, the drug was hidden inside shoe sole and detected during the outward screening of Etihad passenger flight to India.
He said: “The first suspect, Okechukwu Samson Agwueze, 23, was arrested when the drug was found inside the sole of the shoe he wore during the screening. His cousin, Ogbonna Onwumere, 38, who sponsored his trip, was also arrested and currently being interrogated by narcotic investigators.”
NDLEA Commander at the Lagos Airport, Mr Hamza Umar, expressed delight over the seizure, saying: “It is gratifying that the cocaine which was concealed inside the sole of a shoe worn by the suspect was promptly detected. The second suspect who procured the travel documents and facilitated the drug deal was equally apprehended.”
Okechukwu Samson, who is a casual worker, looked remorseful and said his regret was that his cousin lured him into drug trafficking.
His words: “I work in construction sites as a labourer to earn a living. I had wanted to travel out of the country in search of greener pastures but I was swindled of my hard earned N360,000 while trying to get my travel documents.
“My cousin, Ogbonna Onwumere promised to sponsor me to India so that I can work and further my education. He invited me to Lagos that everything was set for me to travel and gave me the shoe to wear that mine was old. He never told me there was drug in it.”
The cousin, Ogbonna who is an importer of textiles said that he wanted to use Okechukwu to smuggle the drugs to India.
“I wanted to use him to smuggle the drugs because I used my money in processing his travel documents. I was doing him a favour but I will have to get my money back. Why must I sponsor him if there is no benefit” he stated.
Both suspects are from Enugu State.

No comments:

Post a Comment