Saturday 20 February 2016

I sold my 15-year-old sister for N52,000-Suspect(Photo)


A two-year search for a 15-year-old Togolese girl, Assana, has led to the arrest of seven human traffickers by the Zone F Headquarters of the Nigeria Immigrations Services in Ibadan.
One of the arrested persons is a man simply known as Cossy, the brother of the girl who has since been found and reunited with her family in Togo.

He explained that the girl was brought to Nigeria from Togo by her brother when she was 13 years old in 2013 without any travelling documents and was made to work for various end users, who paid various sums of money that never got to the victim.
“We got the letter in form of a petition and set out looking for Assana. We were able to apprehend the brother who brought her to Nigeria and involved her in a long chain of human trafficking ring. He first handed her over to a Togolese trafficking agent called Aishat in Eruwa who also contracted her out to one Alfa Sabe, 55, with an agreement of N60,000 annual wage that never got to the victim.
“One woman simply known as Iya Onigele also paid N72,000 for her services to a Nigerian agent, Iya Nofisat. When she could not endure the hardship, Assana ran away and unfortunately ended up in the hands of another agent, Titi, who is now at large.
Her final destination was the home of a pastor, Mrs Dorcas Afelumo, who also paid N72,000 for her in exchange for domestic services. Even the brother, Cossy, lost track of her before she was rescued at the clergy woman’s house,” he added.
Condemning the inhuman journey Assana was made to go through in her early life, Sofuwa said the girl who has since been reunited with her family in Togo while the arrested human traffickers would be handed over to the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons for appropriate penalty.
However, Cossy said he actually sought the permission of their mother before selling his sister.
He also admitted to getting only N52,000 in two installments and that he did not give his sister any money.
Cossy said, “I brought her here when my wife left me so that she could cook for me. When my wife returned, I gave her out to people who could use her for work. I had to collect money from them after some negotiation.
“I told our mother and I got N52,000 from the deal. I bought things for our mother each time I went home from the money. Then Assana got missing and I have since been looking for her.”

No comments:

Post a Comment